PRODUCT: CYCLIQ FLY6 CE REAR FACING BIKE CAMERA
BETTER PEACE OF MIND COMMUTING (TO THE TRAILS)
Thanks to OCBC Cycle, we got our hands on a set of the Cycliq Fly6 Rear Facing Camera and Safety Lights. This is a cycling rear light with a rear-facing built-in camera. Or we could also say this is a rear-facing cycling camera with safety lights. Whatever way we see it, we liked the idea of this product combining 2 safety features for cycling – be it for sports or commuting. After a brief familiarization with this new toy, we began to wonder if we could have a little more fun with it beyond what the product was designed for …
THE FLY6 REAR FACING BICYCLE CAMERA
First off, the Cycliq website has this claim about the product: “The Fly6 rear facing bike camera and 100 lumen light is engineered for peace of mind on the road and a run time that lasts as long as you do.”
Probing further, these are what we gathered:
(1) If you’re involved in an incident, the Fly automatically locks the footages so it can’t be overwritten.
(2) Captures up to 60 frames per second in crisp HD with audio.
(3) Shoot rock solid footage no matter what the conditions with 6-axis electronic image stabilisation.
(4) Smart video looping means you’ll never run out of space on your SD card.
(5) 100 lumens to get you home in the dark and be seen during the day. There’s flash, pulse and solid modes with three brightness levels, plus camera only.
(6) Punch out up to 7 hours of continuous recording in camera-only mode and 4-5 hours with lights on.
(7) If the battery runs low, HomeSafe mode kicks in to keep the lights on for up to 30 minutes.
(8) Water resistant with a nanotech coating to keep out the dust, dirt and destruction.
There has been more reported road incidents of cyclists with motorized road users. While it could be this could be due a combination of reasons from heightened media / social media vigilance to an increase in sport/commuting cyclists, we do not rule out the possibility that it could also reflect a decrease in road tolerance or safety observance from road users. Cyclists on the road would be better protected if they are equiped with a cycling camera. (Ed: Let’s be very sensible about this and understand that we are referring to minor incidents where there are no fatalities only. For those who insist to nit-pick, try this: To report on hard-hitting explosive incidents, we suggest you install an airline-grade blackbox). If road users think there’s a chance they’ll be recorded, there’s less chance they’ll do something dangerous. And if things do go wrong, you’ve got the evidence to show what happened.
The Fly6 is easy to use, operating with only 2 weatherproof flat rubberized buttons on each side of the light housing. The whole light/camera body snaps on and off easily with a 1/8 turn quick release mounting system which is velcroed onto the seat post of the bike. It can be charged up quickly – 2-hour USB-C Fast Charging. All these makes a neat package of this safety gadget.
In addition to its convenience attributes, it is also quite well “connected”. The lights and camera can be controlled via Cycliq’s very own phone app through Bluetooth. It can also be overlaid with Strava metrics, edited and shared.
CYCLIQ FLY6 AT THE TRAILS
The Cycliq Fly6 is first and foremost a rear facing HD camera with rear cycling lights designed to give cyclists riding on roads better peace of mind and incident protection when the need arises. With the hope that the built-in video stabilizer would help smooth out the rapid bumps while riding trail, we took it with us commuting to the trailhead and then the dirts. Watch the video and decide how far you would bring this camera.
ADDITIONAL SPECIFICATIONS OF THE CAMERA
- Bike camera resolution: 1080p Full HD video at 60 fps or 30fps (1920×1080 16:9), 720p video at 60fps (1280×720 16:9)
- EIS: 6-axis Electronic Image Stabilisation
- Viewing angle: 135° wide angle
- Recording structure: Looping video recording
- Segment size: 550MB – 1.2GB (5 min segment at 1080p 60fps)
- Video format: MP4
ADDITIONAL INFORTMATION ON THE LIGHTS
- Max brightness: 100 Lumen
- Light modes: Constant, flash, pulse
- Brightness setting: Low, medium, high
- Height: 8.4cm/3.3in
- Width: 3.5cm/1.4in
- Depth: 4.4cm/1.7in
- Weight: 110g/3.88oz
- Max microSD card size: 32GB
- Type: Class 10 microSDHC
- Type: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery (built-in)
- Size: 3200mAh
- Watt hours: 11.84wh
- Voltage: 3.7vCharge port: USB-C fast charge accepting up to 2.1 amps.
- Charge your Fly6 CE using a USB wall charger (not supplied) or a USB port on your computer.
- Ingress protection: IP56
- Nanotechnology: We’ve used nanotechnology on the inside and outside of your Fly6 CE to protect it from the elements. This process modifies the entire surface area of the circuitry at a molecular level, permanently leaving yourdevice in a hydrophobic state. This should greatly enhance the longevity of your Fly6 CE device
- Connect via: Bluetooth, Ant+, USB-C
The full range of Cycliq products could be viewed at their website
They are also available at these shops in Singapore
805 Bukit Timah Road, Singapore S279883
Phone: +65 64664224
833 Bukit Timah Road,#01-11 Royalville, Singapore 279887
Phone: +65 6465 1597 ; +65 8111 1239
Blk 451, Ang Mo Kio Ave. 10, #01-1761, Singapore 560451
Phone: +65 6452-7168
11 Thong Soon Ave Yishun, Singapore 787438
Phone: +65 64592919
64 Jalan Jurong Kechil, JK Building, Singapore 598585
Phone: +65 64662503
1 Commonwealth lane#01-04, One Commonwealth, Singapore 149544
Phone: +65 6473 4988
462 Upper Serangoon Road, Singapore 534496
Phone: +65 6836 6566; email@example.com
Block 261 Waterloo Street, Singapore
31 Rochester Drive Level 24, Singapore
18 Boon Lay Way Tradehub 21, Singapore
11 Woodlands Close #01-24, Singapore 737853
79 Upper East Coast Road, Singapore 455219
Photos by Cycliq and Bikezilla
Video by Bikezilla