FOOD FOR THOUGHT: DO YOU LIKE MOUNTAIN BIKES OR DO YOU LIKE MOUNTAIN BIKING?
OR BROADLY: DO YOU LIKE BIKES OR BIKING?
Ever been asked this question before? Or maybe there was this once … you walked pass your bicycle and asked yourself this same question? Is that love for cycling really the love for a bicycle masterpiece you've created? Let's get this straightened out today!
THE DON'T-TAKE-ME-TOO-SERIOUSLY MOUNTAIN BIKER QUIZ
Before you attempt the following quiz, you must first satisfy the following qualifier criteria. Otherwise, the result may not make any sense to you.
- I am a mountain biker [ ]
- I enjoy mountain biking [ ]
- I socialize actively with fellow mountain bikers [ ]
If you tick all 3 of the above boxes, continue with the statements below. Add the number in the bracket if you agree with a particular statement.
- I love my bike to look clean and shiny all the time (+5)
- I love my bike to look clean and shiny when I am not riding it (+2)
- I don't give a hoot how dirty or clean my bike is as long as all the parts are working well (+0)
- I want the most updated frame and best components even though my current setup is pretty decent (+5)
- I want the most updated frame and best components that I can afford (+2)
- I am happy with my bike's current setup (+0)
- I concerned about how a frame's linkage is designed so that I can find the most suitable one for my riding style (+1)
- I do not really understand nor care about the frame's linkage design (+2)
- I will buy a bike that my favorite pro rider rides (+1)
- I chose my current bike because it is popular and has high resale value (+5)
- I chose my current bike because I like the way it rides (+0)
- I chose my current bike because it looked really good (+5)
- I cycle at least once a week (+0)
- I cycle at least one a month (+2)
- I cycle once in a while (+5)
Score: Above 26
You prefers to look fast and slick even when you are stationary. Your friends' opinion and praises matters a lot to you. You could be what we considered a "Bicycle Lover" (in this case mountain bikes). You are more interested in the wonders and technical innovations of mountain bike – from linkage designs to smart solutions to fine workmanship. And you want to be a living showcase of that if it is within your means. Compare to the love for this mechanical wonder, the exploration and the sense of freedom of cycling need not be fulfilled in the trails nor the constant need for saddle time. You are happy just to be in touch with your master piece – your totally tricked-out custom built rig which you friends scream of indulgent bike porn.
Score 11 – 25
You keep a very realistic and healthy balance between the form versus function of things. At the same time, you are realistic enough to pick products that would serve you optimally and within your budget. While you would pick products that reflect your personality, you do not compromise performance for looks where it counts. Your well-balanced form and function preference also makes you one of the "Practical Rider" in your local riding community. Majority of Practical Riders are sociable and adaptable (or at least that's the first impression you gave others).
Score: Below 10
This one is complicated. Are you really all about performance / ideals and nothing else? You are either on a Spartan mission or you are really living in your own world (Ed: Tongue-in-cheek). If you are really all that focused on your ideals and/or personal physical performance and nothing else, you would be one of those "Truly Focused Idealist". Many things outside of cycling may have given you the reason to pick up that bike and ride it. It could be your love for nature, you wanting to improve your physical fitness, or anything in between. This said, it is very likely that cycling is just a mean to an end to you. Your focus is yourself – either for your own physical performance or that inner ideal of yours. You could be doing what you love on foot (trekking, running) or on motorized vehicles as long as they serve your purposes.
THE GRAY SECTION
The in-betweeners. As in all fun-don't-take-me-too-seriously quizzes, they are meant to be paint a light-hearted picture only. As such, there would always be room for in-betweeners to fit in. You could well be fitting in between 2 categories. So, let's see who are the Practical Bicycle Lovers or the Focused Practical Riders. We are happy as long as we are able to describe you.
WHAT ARE WE TRYING TO DO HERE?
This is not some social profiling exercise. We just wanted everybody to know their riding buddies and themselves a little better as a mountain biker. and have a good laugh about it. But who knows, this little quiz may even help riders improve their riding habits and practices? We will not know for now. You can giver us updates later. Meantime, RIDE!
Photos by Bikezilla