NEWS: GET READY FOR SINGAPORE OPEN ENDURO 2018 PRESENTED BY GOPRO
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SINGAPORE'S ENDURO EVENT
Come 30th June 2018, the trails of Singapore would once again be basking in some festivity lights. The occasion is Singapore Open Enduro 2018 presented by GoPro (SOE2018). While Bukit Timah MTB Trail and the Chestnut MTB Trails remain opened to public, you would find the place filled with extra energy and fanfare, even if it is only for a fleeting moment at each section.
ENDURO-ING IN SINGAPORE
Many would say that there isn't much of a terrain for Enduro events in Singapore. We disagree. Enduro is not reserved for places with big mountains only, although it may make the race more spectacular. Every region has its own unique features and that include Singapore's trails too. Our trails are dotted with granites and roots with many fast ups and downs along tight singletracks. That, to us, is good enough reason to "enduro" in.
Those who were eagerly anticipating this event are mostly our local regulars and "above average" riders (with a handful of oversea riders). No surprises here as SOE18 has a limited number of entry slots coupled with a "preferred" list of riders from those who joined the event previously. And the fact that the slots were snapped up within minutes of its online registration opening added to its exclusivity.
(Ed: BIkezilla would wish to see more riders gaining interest in the enduro race format. Or simply, riding long distance all mountain routes. Instead of the usual XC loops or DH tracks. In that way, we would all be embracing enduro.)
SINGAPORE OPEN ENDURO 2018 PRESENTED BY GOPRO
To introduce SOE2018 to the uninitaited, here are some quick facts:
- Event Name: Singapore Open Enduro 2018 presented by GoPro
- Race Date: 30 June, Saturday (first riders set off at 0800hrs / awards ceremony at 1400hrs)
- Race HQ (Start & Finish): Chestnut Nature Park Car Park (Chestnut Avenue, Singapore 679514)
- Race trails: Chestnut MTB Trail (North), Bukit Timah MTB Trail Loop
- Number of Timed Stages (Special Stages): 7
- Number of Bonus Sections: 1 (Time credit)
- 1700 – 1900 hrs, SAT 23 June: Race Pack Collection + Jersey Pop-up Store Sale / GoPro+Quik App Clinic / TailWind Nutrition Info Seminar
- 1900 – 2000 hrs, SAT 23 June: Racer Briefing (Local racers)
- ALL DAY, TUE 25 June & WED 27 June: Course Marking Days
- 1200 hrs, WED 27 June: Course Information release to participants (Full-colour race maps, GPX files, Strava segments, YouTube preview videos)
- 0700 – 1900 hrs, THU 28 June & Fri 29 June: Open Practice Days
- 1700 – 1900 hrs, FRI 29 June: Race Pack Collection + Jersey Pop-up Store Sale
- 1900 – 2000 hrs, FRI 29 June: Racer Briefing (Overseas racers + Remaining local racers)
- 0800 – 1400 hrs, SAT 30 June: RACE DAY!
- Course remains open during practice and race days
- Advisory signage put up a minimum of two weeks prior to event to advise mountin bikers to AVOID USING TRAILS ON 30 JUNE
- Members of public discouraged from using trails when race is in progress
- Volunteer staff will be present at trail heads and entry points to control (but not prevent) entry to trails
- Event will be electronically timed
- Timing chip on right wrist at all times
- Helmets to be worn when riding at all times
- No Knee pads at Start point of any Special Stage or Bonus Section means NO START
- Do not litter
- Do not cache/dump equipment outside iof race HQ
- Please practice race / trail etiquette – slower riders please give way to faster riders and allow them to start first at each Special Stage or Bonus Section. If they catch up with you during a race run, let them to overtake safely.
- Do not delay or hold up other riders
- Penalties apply for late finish (missing cut-off timings at Finish Line). Please refer to full regulations and information that would be distributed to racers during race briefing and online soon.
- Number of Participants: 150
- Countries Represented: Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Phillipines, Argentina, Peru, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, Canada, France, Myanmar, Norway, South Africa, Taiwan, Switzerland, Netherlands, Nepal (Total: 20)
- Sponsors: GoPro/OST Singapore (Title Sponsor), ION, Oakley, Ohlins Suspension, BikeNest, Attitude Bikes, Crankworkz, Charm Articles, Seven7 Design, TireCare Sealant, Polygon/Rodalink Singapore, Shimano Cycling World
- Official Media Partner: Bikezilla
- Official Logistics Partner: Dirtraction
- Official Permit: National Parks Board Singapore
- Quote from Organizer: Singapore Open Enduro (SOE) is a celebration of the best mountain bike trails in Singapore. It is a community event that is made possible by riders, for riders; and one which encourages sportsmanship, stands for equality & fair representation across different demographics, and promotes a strong sense of the spirit of enduro.
Photos by Bikezilla