EVENT: GOOD WEATHER,
GOOD FRIENDS AND
CHESTNUT SOUTH MTB TRAIL
THE SINGAPORE BIKE SHOW X BIKEZILLA MASS RIDE 2
The 2nd Singapore Bike Show X Bikezilla Mass Ride on 1st July 2017 was a party at the trails! It was a gathering of old friends and new friends, coming together to do what we love most – mountain biking. And in good ol' Bikezilla tradition, this installment came with some added fun that made the morning different from just another weekend ride with regular friends.
Much planning went into every mass ride. But all would come to naught should the weather turns unfavorable. And it was with bated breath when we saw the online weather forecast that the morning of our mass ride would be stormy. With that in mind, we beefed up our contingency plans, hoping for the best while expecting the worst. Our prayers were heard. The morning's ride was blessed with a good sunny sky!
Some highlights of the ride in the video below.
We had some crazy fun during our previous mass ride (The Singapore Bike Show X Bikezilla Mass Ride Round 1) with our mini games segment. Everyone was given a chance to put their bike handling skills to good use to grab some prizes. This time, the focus moved on to another skill area – trail technical competency and speed. With that in mind, our ride route was catered for more seasoned riders, starting with a loop around Bukit Timah MTB Trail and wrapping the event with a STRAVA Time Trial at Chestnut South MTB Trail. The longer ride route, time trial and good weather all contributed to a good turnout.
STRAVA TIME TRIAL
This is the first time we've ever integrated a STRAVA Time Trial in a Bikezilla Mass Ride, and we loved the outcome. A simple time trial where everyone rides a loop in his/her best effort. There was a common understanding on a few things: that the trail was not closed for our exclusive usage, to observe trail etiquette just like any regular rides, yet come together to ride a same trail segment and have a friendly time trial that would be tabulated in STRAVA's leader board for the day.
This affordable yet fun way to get people together achieved what we hoped for – spicing up this gathering with a bit more excitement . And to sweeten the whole deal, we had our sponsors: The Singapore Bike Show, Bike Continent, Tiong Hin, Bike31 and NSR Bikes, coming in with prizes and freebies for the riders.
The mood of the event was just great! Big thanks, once again, to our sponsors!
PHOTOS OF THE MASS RIDE
Photos of the mass ride can be viewed at our Facebook Group page: Bikezilla Bikers Singapore
ASIDE: ANY CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBLITY PROJECTS OUT THERE?
We would like to take this opportunity to add an important message. (Ed: We work hard alright.) Rides and fun aside, some may be wondering what is the real purpose for Bikezilla Mass Ride. This may go into philosophical territories for those who are interested to know. In short, it goes like this:
- We want to help show the world just how fun cycling (mountain biking) is. And that cycling goes beyond just "fun"; it could be an integral part of our lifestyle where it is a part of our family life, social life and daily routine.
- We also wish to make it as easy as possible for young riders getting into the sport. While we cannot give every kid a bike (you got to put in your own effort and work toward what you want …), we can give them some social support, motivation and relevant information that set them off on the right footings.
- Cycling should be an affordable sport. And so should cycling events. But the cost has to come from somewhere. And that's where the sponsors and Bikezilla comes in. Bikezilla would provide a range of services to our sponsors for the support they give to our events and projects. These goodwill from the sponsors are then passed on to the riders as much a we can.
- We strive to make every mass ride free-of-charge or as cheap as possible to all riders.
- For the sponsors, their participation in our cause would also help their business in terms of publicity and promotional works.
- A win-win situation for all.
What about the sustainability of Bikezilla as a business? A rider asked us whether we are a non-profit organization. We are not. (LOL) Bikezilla is an online bike media for Asian cyclists. We work very much the same way as all other online media. As much as we do not want to sound cliché, we are indeed a "By Riders, For Riders" organization. We work on a sustainable business structure that covers our working cost, with a large portion of our effort from a team of passionate and capable volunteer riders.
With this said, we hope that sponsors/advertisers who have Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) efforts/projects funds consider collaborating with us. You know we can be reaaaaalllly creative!
Here's to more riding for everyone! Ride.
The Singapore Bike Show (18 – 20 August 2017)
Note: STRAVA Time Trial is NOT a race. It is a casual game conducted during Bikezilla Mass Ride with no race permit, official time keeping system nor closure to any trail or road. Proper trail etiquette were observed at all times.
All photos by Bikezilla
Video Edit by Brandon Chen Bikezilla
Werewolf Rock performed by The Zombies Dandies